Skip to main content

Starting Over Is A Messy Process

 

When I finally hit a breaking point in my marriage in 2022, I realized I had to separate from my husband.  My mental health was crashing and I didn't know who I was anymore. The only thing that I had an answer too was that it was over. The impact of that decision was exhausting, stressful, and defeating. There had been no plan set in place to protect or guide me through the process of completely starting over. Thankfully, I was born incredibly loud and stubborn. Little did I know, this would be my most valuable resource in times of completely restructuring my life. 


Could there have been a plan? Or, a large savings account awaiting my departure? Absolutely. But there wasn't. I'm a believer that it is impossible to prepare for everything.  Especially, extremely painful moments & choices. I do not discredit the importance of planning. If I could go back and talk to my younger self, I would have planned around a lot of the experiences I ended up going through. We can only change what is in our control though. 


It took lots of house searching, feeling trapped, millions of tears, and finally a prayer of desperation to lead me to a little yellow house in the country. It was September 2022, and God answered my prayers.  On Facebook Marketplace, a girl in the same career field as me, was needing a roommate. I relocated my plants, clothes, sentimental items, and a few kitchen things to this new residence. The pictures in this blog post are of my plants & room at the new place. It helps when I feel like I am in chaos to at least know where my basic hygiene items are!




So here I was, out in the middle of no where (literally). It was beautiful,  peaceful, and green. I remember finding a cotton field a street over. I stopped, turned up my country music, and photographed the cotton as the sun peaked through the forest. It was a beautiful afternoon and I remember my soul savoring the silence that  I found in that field. 



I also took a selfie of "squeezing the sun."



My living situation was not meant to last long in this area. I ended up moving a few months after I moved into that little home. However, I do not regret having made the decision to move out to the country because:

  -I moved myself, singlehandedly. It reminded me of my own strength. 
-My roommate became a friend that I respect. 
-It was the first step in starting over. 
-I proved to myself I could drive a long way to keep a job, in the name of having a home. 

    
What I want to say to you if you are starting over is that this is a messy process.  You will have days where you question your choices, when your future looks completely distorted, and you want to give up. The feeling of failure may run fluidly through your veins as hot tears streak mascara down your face. The only way to put it is that, you most likely feel like you are breaking. Most likely, your heart is. But, my darling, let it. Allow yourself to have moments where you feel everything.  To cry is to be alive. We all must go through the process of grief when we lose a relationship that we once loved. No matter how ready you are to get out, it is likely that there will be pain attached to the departure. Change is never easy. This I know though: 

You WILL rebuild
You WILL heal 
You WILL experience love again
You WILL move past this moment 
You WILL find yourself again 

Trust the process and allow yourself the time you need to heal. For some of us, that may mean spending a lot of days reading a book in the sun. For others, peace may be found walking down the beach or under the stars at night. Go look for your peace and when you find it, spend time in that place. Keep your faith, keep going, and keep breathing. Record your journey because looking back, it will be inspirational for you to see how far you came. And maybe, one day, you will share your journey to help another person along on theirs. 

Start Over, Darling. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reconnecting With Yourself

      I continue to believe that a big part of starting over is reconnecting with yourself. It is important to remind yourself things you used to find passion in. I'm the happiest when I am feeling truly authentic. Selling has been a part of my soul for as long as I can remember. Unfortunately, it continues to be an area that I "take a break from" or compromise on when it comes to giving something up.  It's essential to not feel shame about having things in your life that bring you peace.  I took time this weekend to pick out some cute packaging from the Dollar Tree to wrap one of my latest sales in.  As you can see, I have little cactus stickers, adorable rainbow paper, and to die for mini kitty cat card in this picture. I'm hoping that my buyer will smile when they open their package and that this bit of color will add sunshine to their day.      Something about myself that I have observed is that it is really on the day before I go back to work that I get truly

A Day For Baking Bread

    Today, was a VERY rainy day.  One of those days where you want to eat warm food and not stray far from your bed. My boyfriend and I listened to church online, as it continued to rain outside. The pastor talked about Joy VS. Happiness . Explaining, that these two words have very different meanings. Hundreds of thousands of people every year search the word "happiness." So many (including myself), are searching for relief from this economy, answers to questions, and their identities that they are convinced they have lost. I've seen a multitude of How To Find  Happiness & Self Fulfillment books at the thrift store. In full transparency, I'm sure some of these books have made it into my buggy.  For some reason, these books that are supposed to give these life altering answers always get donated back. As I listened to the sermon, I learned that happiness is a feeling created from positive events happening around us. While joy, despite what is going on, is created

What To Do When You Can't Find Balance In Your Life

  Anyone else feel like they are struggling to get through each and every day?  You may be familiar with burn out spreading through your workplace like a wildfire.  Everyone looks like they are having an out of body experience from the level of stress they are experiencing, right? I know one of the biggest questions running through my mind right now is, what should I do to balance my life in the midst of the chaos. Todays answer: declutter my closet and donate 5 full trash bags of clothes (amongst other items).  For some reason, cleaning either my closet or car makes me feel like my life is semi together. The feeling never lasts, but it is a good short term stress relieving solution.  I thought in this blog I could make a list of things that I do to balance my life, in hopes that it may help someone that is starting over or looking for alternative ideas for handling stress.  Organizing/Donating - This topic I know I just mentioned. However, I want to emphasize how important it is to j